DisplayPort

Mike Burns mike at mike-burns.com
Wed Jan 13 02:10:22 UTC 2010

On 2010-01-12 19.16.10 -0600, Robert Noland wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 10:19 -0500, Mike Burns wrote:
> > Is there any work being done on DisplayPort?  Are there any patches
> > floating around that I can try?
>
> On radeon's it should work in X.  I don't remember if you need the ddx
> driver from git or not though.  I'm doubt that intel will work, since
> they have totally stopped working on anything that isn't GEM/KMS.
>
> It isn't entirely clear what you are asking about... but at least the
> video hardware is relevant.

I had expected dmesg to say something when I plugged the DisplayPort monitor
in, or I had at least expected something in dmesg mentioning that it knew
there was a DisplayPort device on the system (`dmesg | grep vga | wc -l'
gives six results, for example).  I had assumed, because of all this, that
FreeBSD simply didn't recognize DisplayPort.

This laptop has two graphics cards in it; I'm currently using the Intel GM45
which you mention probably doesn't support DisplayPort.  The other card (ATI
Mobility Radeon 3650 HD) causes the system to hang just after the boot
prompt (where it displays the |/-\ animation, but it hangs on the |).

So that's where I am now.  Moving forward: who do I pester about getting the
Intel card to understand DisplayPort?  Where do I file a bug about the ATI
card preventing the system from booting (and how do I even send useful
information besides "it doesn't boot")?.

Also, Robert, thank you for responding.

This is a Lenovo Thinkpad T500.
% uname -a
  FreeBSD battered.mike-burns.com 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #2:
  Thu Dec 24 22:22:54 EST 2009
  root at battered.mike-burns.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BATTERED  amd64

--
Mike Burns mike at mike-burns.com http://mike-burns.com