HEADSUP: BSDL bc/dc in head

Graham Todd gtodd at bellanet.org
Thu Feb 4 16:17:20 UTC 2010

Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> El 2010. 02. 04. 11:31, Lucius Windschuh escribió:
>> Hi Gabor,
>> is there any chance that the BSD-licensed bc will get readline support
>> or that you add a switch in math/gnubc to re-enable readline support?
>> This i a huge enhancement if you use bc interactively.
>> I know that libreadline is GPL-licensed. But maybe, there is an
>> alternative.
>>
> Hi Lucius,
>
> I've just committed a change to compile math/gnubc with libedit. It
> gives you the same and it is part of the base system. When I have sorted
> out some of my another TODOs, I'll check how complicated it would be to
> add libedit support to base bc.

Hi, sorry to be OT.  If libedit can be swapped for libreadline in the BSDL
bc is it possible to swap them elsewhere? Of course kgdb gdb et al. will
always be linked against libreadline but there were a few other tools
people seemed surprised to find linked against readline. Under
/usr/[s]bin: ntpdc, ntpq, kadmin, ktutil and under /sbin/: gvinum (?!).

See this thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-February/002877.html

The gvinum code seems like it would be more work but perhaps for someone
familiar with libedit/libreadline issues ntpdc ntpq would be "low hanging
fruit".

A while back I was frequently building heimdal 1.1 from source, somehow
linking against libedit (I assumed this was correct since I had not
noticed the base heimdal tools were linked against libreadline).
Everything worked fine with -ledit instead of -lreadline as far as I could
tell. Under 8.0 heimdal in base has changed but it is still linked against
readline even though the line editing prompt for kadmin seems fairly basic
and libedit seems to work (BTW does ktutil even provide a line editing
prompt?). There's probably good reasons for this but *perhaps* for
kadmin/ktutil the fruit is not low hanging but already in the basket :)

cheers,