How a full fsck screwed up my SU+J filesystem

Peter Holm pho at freebsd.org
Wed Dec 1 11:26:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 01:28:06AM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> 	So... I was doing a portmaster -af today because vlc stopped playing audio (for some reason ... I kind of went on a pkg_cutleaves rampage and probably deinstalled too much stuff), and the machine hardlocked during an upgrade. I did a soft reboot and saw messages along the lines of "your journal and filesystem mount time mismatched; running a full fsck". I figured "ok, sure..." and let it do it's thing. Problem was that it pruned a lot of stuff from my /usr partition -- including the .sujournal !!! So now it's stuck at Mounting local file systems: stating:
>
> Failed to find journal.   Use tunefs to create one
> Failed to start journal: 2
>
> 	(I assume the 2 means ENOENT). All of the above were printf(9)'s from the kernel.
> 	Now the machine won't continue in multiuser mode (doesn't respond to interrupts, no panic, etc). Going into ddb, I don't see anything in info_threads (just a bunch of references to sched_switch, a few to fork_trampoline, cpustop_handler, and kdb_enter). I'm going to try and massage the machine back to life from single user mode, but the fact that this died in this way (i.e. .sujournal getting nuked by a full fsck) is a bit disheartening for SU+J :(... It would be nice if at least the fsck aborted before going and nuking the journal :/... (or at the very least if the file wasn't removable -- i.e. SF_NOUNLINK).
> 	Here's to hoping I can resuscitate the filesystem...
> Thanks,
> -Garrett_______________________________________________

Thank you for reporting this.

I was able to reproduce the problem by:

tunefs -j enable /dev/md5a
mount /dev/md5a /mnt
chflags 0 /mnt/.sujournal
rm -f /mnt/.sujournal
umount /mnt
mount /dev/md5a /mnt

The mount(1) is now stuck in mntref.

http://people.freebsd.org/~pho/stress/log/kostik404.txt

A sequence of "tunefs -j disable" + "tunefs -j enable" should get
you going.

--
Peter