Interpreted language(s) in the base

B. Estrade estrabd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 01:49:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:47:39AM +1000, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 06:40:37PM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> > Will have to disagree on that - part of the point of having such a
> > thing would be to attract young developers, and while the CS crowd
> > will be happy with LISP, anyone starting programming after the first
> > .com bubble will probably be repulsed by non-Algol-like syntaxes.
>
> I suspect that you're right, though that disappoints me
> somewhat.  The only other language that I'm aware of that does a
> reasonable compiles-to-C and has an algol-like syntax is Eiffel
> (specifically SmartEiffel), but I haven't used it for years,
> and don't know how it's travelling.  It's also nowhere near as
> dynamic and "fun" a programming experience, IMO.

Don't assume that the "CS crowd" are LISP or FP sycophants or that
having to program in C is unattractive to new blood (a term I prefer
over "young developers"). FWIW, I use Perl to prototype all sorts of
algorithms and data structures - and most recently, Qore (I maintain
the lang/qore port). But I don't believe either should be in base when
it's so dead simple to install them from ports.

Cheers,
Brett

B. Estrade <estrabd at gmail.com>