Official request: Please make GNU grep the default

V. T. Mueller, Continum v.t.mueller at continum.net
Thu Aug 19 10:47:26 UTC 2010

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> There is a lesson here: people who are unsatisfied with the performance
> of ${TOOL} should profile it before they start a flamefest on -current.

If you're alluding to Dougs original email, I will strictly disagree.
He found a performance issue which noone had seen or brought up before
and gave feedback to Gabor in a constructive and distinctively polite
manner.

I would also second, that changing back the default immediately then
would have been the better choice.

That others supported Gabor in doing profiling and suggesting
improvements is a fine thing, and contributes to what makes this
community stand out from others.

In other words: as long as there are unresolved issues, the default
should be set to GNU grep. This doesn't stop anyone from improving the
BSD grep we're all waiting for. It only does good to those who rely on
using grep - expecting correctness and speed.

My $0.02
vt

--
Volker T. Mueller
Continum AG

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Freiburg im Breisgau
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Freiburg, HRB 6866
Vorstand: Rolf Mathis, Volker T. Mueller
Vorsitzender d. Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. Karl-F. Fischbach