Interpreted language(s) in the base

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 17 06:39:00 UTC 2010

2010/8/16 Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no>:
> Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> writes:
>> lua   too "flavor of the day," not enough track record of stability,
>>       not enough installed base/proven utility
>
> You're wrong.  Lua has been around for ages and is especially widely
> used as a game scripting engine.  It is not intended as a standalone
> language, but as an embeddable scripting engine.  We could easily create
> our own scripting language based on lua with FreeBSD-specific functions,
> and there would be no fear of interfering with third-party software,
> because it wouldn't be called lua.

It looks like this is rearing its head again elsewhere:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2009/10/24/msg002827.html

http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_project/show/google/gsoc2010/netbsd/t127230760748

"Student Name: Lourival Vieira
Organization Home Page: http://www.netbsd.org/
Mentor Name: Marc Balmer
Title: Provide support for dynamic NetBSD kernel extensions using the
Lua language - Lunatik/NetBSD Abstract: This project has the goal to
develop a framework to provide support for dynamically extending the
NetBSD kernel using the Lua programming language. I intend to allow
adaptation of the kernel and its subsystems for different purposes at
runtime, through download of Lua scripts and exposure of kernel
internals to Lua. Moreover, this framework will provide support for
rapid prototyping and experimentation with new algorithms and
mechanisms inside the kernel."

b.