Official request: Please make GNU grep the default

Andrey Chernov ache at nagual.pp.ru
Sat Aug 14 16:05:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 01:43:16AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Gabor,
>
> I hope at this point it goes without saying that I have a lot of respect

I am Nth on this. Although I do a lot of l10n work in the beautefull less
bureocracy FreeBSD time and very appreciate what Gabor did, the problem is
in other area: BSD grep simple not ready for wide testers circle and needs
to be polished further. I talk not about it speed alone but about all its
bugs revealed right after import. Let few ethusiast who have spare time
for experiments run at at now. What we need is rock stable grep, and
changing regex library for speed don't add anything here. From my point of
view importing of the latest GNU grep instead would have more benefits.
And we need to pend BSD grep with all its can of bugs for a while, until
faster regex will be imported (disadvantages must be balanced with
somewhat sweet). It is not my final verdict and we'll can return to it
after all serious bugs will be eliminated. Right now we'll have f.e.
numerous report agaist wrong greeping dirs which are unacceptable for any
development system including even non-production one like -current.

--
http://ache.pp.ru/