[CFT] [sys/conf/newvers.sh] Cleanup and additions.

jhell jhell at dataix.net
Wed Aug 11 01:11:13 UTC 2010

On 08/10/2010 20:39, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 08/10/2010 17:34, jhell wrote:
>> I also meant to CC dougb@ on this as I believe he had something to do
>> with the original commits of the git(1) portions and possibly other parts.
>
> I have specifically sworn off any further contact with that file. I have
> no idea why screwing around with what should have been a simple thing
> continues to hold such endless fascination for people, but I refuse to
> dive back into that swamp.

I can respect that. I just find it to be of real use to be able to
identify what is currently running on the system to what revisions were
available at the time it was compiled whether it be local revisions or
remote or mixed like what I have done with this patch.

Personally I have drove off ideas of my own for a long time due to the
long standing nature and background of newvers.sh because it is just a
simple straight forward use that is needed from it. To complicate
something as simple as this just seems fundamentally wrong in a lot of
ways so I had to weigh the negatives and positives before I decided to
submit this one.

Regards & thanks for the good luck,

--

 jhell,v