Superpages and VMware ESXi 3.5u4 crashes

Alan Cox alc at cs.rice.edu
Fri Sep 25 06:01:20 UTC 2009

Peter Kieser wrote:
> On 9/24/2009 10:23 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
>> I would agree that this seems like a bug in ESX.  Nonetheless, I'm
>> curious to know something about our your system.  What type of processor
>> are you using, and in particular is ESX using hardware supported nested
>> paging?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>

> I'm using an AMD Phenom 9950. How would I tell if ESXi is using
> hardware supported nested paging? Is this something I can tell in
> FreeBSD?

Ok.  Your processor does support nested paging, although you may have to
explicitly enable it in your BIOS.  FreeBSD can't tell whether you're
using nested paging.  Support for nested paging is implemented in the
hypervisor and is invisible to the guess, so only ESX can tell you if
it's being used.  Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with ESX to
tell you how to determine this.

If you're not currently using nested paging, it's plausible that turning
it on could make this problem go away.  Likewise, if you are currently
using nested paging, turning it off may help.  If nothing else, this
could help narrow down where the problem lies.

Alan