tmux(1) in base

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Sep 24 08:41:17 UTC 2009

Pete <freebsd-stable-2 at voidcaptain.com> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
> > 2) Sendmail is used at least twice a day + once a week + once a month on
> >    every single FreeBSD installation in the world except those where the
> >    admin has intentionally installed and configured another MTA.
> That is to say, it's used by all systems that choose to keep using it.
> Many don't.

Good on them.  In the meantime, those that do (or don't care either way)
have a working system.

> > 3) Both BIND and Sendmail have strong historical ties to BSD, and a lot
> >    of users would be very surprised to find them missing from the next
> >    release.
> User surprise was not a sufficient reason not to remove Perl.

Perl was removed for technical reasons.  User surprise did not enter the
equation at all.

> > 4) The FreeBSD project has strong ties to and good working relationships
> >    with the people and organizations who write and maintain BIND and
> >    Sendmail, ensuring that they are well integrated into our codebase,
> >    that any concerns we should have about them are given serious
> >    consideration, that we always receive ample advance notification of
> >    any know problems, etc.
> This would be equally true and valuable if the programs were to be moved
> to ports.

Irrelevant.  What is relevant is the level of support we can expect from
the developers of whichever piece software we would import to replace
BIND and Sendmail.

> > 5) Both BIND and Sendmail are mature, robust, highly regarded, actively
> >    maintained pieces of software with strong developer and user
> >    communities.  Unbound, DMA, or whatever it is you would replace them
> >    with can only dream of enjoying a fraction of the respect that BIND
> >    and Sendmail command in the industry.
> Some don't need them and would like a system without them.

Why?  Do they get in your way?

> It's not about respect or newer alternatives.

Yes it is, unless you've been reading a different thread than I have.

> > 6) This discussion comes up with depressing regularity.  The arguments
> >    on both sides are always the same, as is the conclusion: you can have
> >    BIND and Sendmail when you pry them out of Beastie's cold, dead
> >    fingers.  Now go write some code.
> Perhaps this discussion comes up with depressing regularity because some
> "cold dead fingers"-type people seem a bit obstinate about an obvious
> streamlining.

The FreeBSD developers, who work mostly on their own unpaid free time to
create the operating system you use for free, do not want to remove BIND
or Sendmail from the base system, and you're just going to have to live
with that.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no