Serial console broken on RELENG_8 ?

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Wed Sep 23 21:48:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 16:47 -0400, Scott Ullrich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are noticing that serial no longer functions the same way it did in
> 7.X when using -h or -D in /boot.config
>
> What we are seeing is this:
>
> Boot:  1
> /boot.config:  -h
> Consoles: serial port
> BIOS drive C: is disk0
> BIOS 639kB/490496kB available memory
>
> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
> (sullrich at freebsdcurrent.livebsd.com, Wed Sep 23 20:26:13 UTC 2009)
> /boot/kernel/kernel text=0x789ca4 data=0x149434+0x80de0 -
> |
> Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
> Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
> \
>
> And then the serial console stops functioning.
>
> This is on PC-Engine ALIX boards, VIA Embedded and anything else that
> I can find here that only features a serial console (Nexcom, too).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

hi,

Make sure mergemaster has run properly,

the devicenames have changed,
7.x => 8.x
cuad0 => cuau0
ttyd0 => ttyu0

I have serial support working under 8.0 RC1 for ALIX 3d2.

Try booting a 7.x kernel to fix files like /etc/ttys and so before
booting 8.x.

cheers
Marten

> My apologies if this is the wrong list.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Scott
this email is sent from my mainframe.....
http://martenvijn.nl                Sugar on a Stick
http://bsd.wifisoft.org/nek/        The Network Event Kit
http://opencommunitycamp.org         26th Jul - 2nd August