LDAP server gone -> impossible to login locally!

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 23 08:35:35 UTC 2009

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>> This sounds like the correct solution, AFAIK it's the same concept as
>> for NIS, first check local files, then ldap. You don't want your root
>> credentials possibly be leaked accross the network. On the other hand
>> you don't want or need user accounts in the local files.
>>
>> Default first check local files which is fast, then fall back on ldap
>> if the user is not found.
>
> Actually I wrote them the wrong way, how odd!
> I actually have..
> group: cache ldap files
> passwd: cache ldap files

I had issues with the order

'files ldap'

too, that's why I choosed 'ldap files'.

> I think that if it fails ldap, it does so very quickly - it certainly
> did this morning when I rebooted uncleanly.
>
> I believe I did try it as "cache files ldap" but I had some issues, I
> can't recall what they were though. I had quite a bit of difficulty
> getting it to work acceptably so when it did I left it alone :)
>
> On a related note, why is slapd so damn fragile? It's a righteous pain
> in the bum the way you have to run db_recover-X.Y /var/db/openldap-data
> if slapd fails to start.

Yes, this is a lot of pain. I have had issues the same way and never
figured out what the reason was. /var/ is very often corrupted after a
crash, power failure or unclean reboot. Maybe not slpad is that fragile,
but db47 is.