tmux(1) in base

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Mon Sep 21 17:04:50 UTC 2009

Steve Kargl wrote:
 > On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 01:26:57PM +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
 >> Hi all,
 >>
 >> At the DevSummit in Cambridge we briefly discussed including
tmux(1) in
 >> the base system. We recently had window(1) there, but unfortunately
 >> window(1) was a very limited tool, compared to tools like
screen(1) and
 >> tmux(1). Why tmux(1) and not screen(1)? Well, simple. The first has a
 >> better license and very active maintenance.
 >>
>> I was talking with the author on IRC the other day and it seemed
>> like I spoke with him at a fortunate moment, because he was just
>> about to release version 1.0. I think it would be nice to import
>> this into HEAD, which means FreeBSD 9.0 (maybe 8.1?) will include
>> it by default.
 >>
 >> How to test tmux in base:
 >>
 >> - Download this tarball and extract it to contrib/tmux:
 >>   http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tmux/tmux-1.0.tar.gz
 >> - Apply the following patch:
 >>   http://80386.nl/pub/tmux.diff
 >>
 >> Comments?
 >>

 > I've used FreeBSD since it was known as 386bsd+patchkit.  In that
 > time, I've used window/screen exactly zero times.  IMHO, neither
 > screen nor tmux should be in the base system.  These are easily
 > installed from the Ports Collection.

I always use screen.
I used to use window sometimes but screen was better.

While it'd be noce to have it in the base system, it's always been ok
for me to have it as a port and it probably can continue to be there.

I'm not sure that putting tmux in the base system is worth while.
It's being activly developed which means that we'll always be out
of date.

for Alfred's support point.. to watch soemoe else for support reasons
I use watch -w

Julian