bwi(4) BCM4315 support?

Gonzalo Nemmi gnemmi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 07:40:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 4:17 AM, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> In message: <19e9a5dc0909180646g1e2a2e50wde781a16523bc743 at mail.gmail.com>
>            Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi at gmail.com> writes:
> : On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 4:36 AM, Ian Freislich <ianf at clue.co.za> wrote:
> :
> : > Hi
> : >
> : > I have the following card:
> : >
> : > bwi0 at pci0:1:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x1508103c chip=0x431514e4
> : > rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
> : >    vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
> : >    device     = 'Broadcom Wireless b/g (BCM4315/BCM22062000)'
> : >    class      = network
> : >
> : > By playing a little bit with the if_bwi source, I've managed to get
> : > it detected to this point, but I obviously don't know what I'm
> : > doing:
> : >
> : > bwi0: <Broadcom BCM4315 802.11b/g Wireless Lan> mem
> 0xfeafc000-0xfeafffff
> : > irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci1
> : > bwi0: [ITHREAD]
> : > bwi0: BBP: id 0x4312, rev 0x1, pkg 0
> : > bwi0: MAC: rev 15
> : > bwi0: PHY: type 5, rev 1, ver 6
> : > bwi0: RF: manu 0x17f, type 0x0002, rev 0
> : > bwi0: only BCM2050 RF is supported for 11G PHY
> : > device_attach: bwi0 attach returned 6
> : >
> : > Is there any thing I can try?  Is there support on the horizon or
> : > should I try and replace it with a supported card?
> : >
> : > Ian
> : >
> :
> : Hi there Ian !
> : Maybe you should get in touch with paradox from the forum.freebsd.org... I
> : think he´s working on it and on other chips too ... you might want to
> take a
> : look in here: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=2477&page=4
>
> I've also been working with paradox to understand his patch set and to
> integrate it into the tree...
>
> However, did you load the firmware, as described in the bwi man page:
>
>     This driver requires firmware to be loaded before it will work.  The
>     ports/net/bwi-firmware-kmod port needs to be installed before
> ifconfig(8)
>     will work.
>

> Warner

Hi Warner !

Yes I did ... but there's always a chance to do it the wrong way ...

Here you'll find what I did:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=38089&postcount=69

Here you'll find the results:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=38125&postcount=72

If I did something wrong, or you'll like me to do it again, or to show you
some other info, or try a patch or whatever you deem necessary, just let me
know and I'll do it =D

I'm willing to help get this card working as much as I can :)

Best regards
Gonzalo Nemmi