USB-to-serial adapter no longer working in 8.0-RC1

Greg Rivers gcr+freebsd-current at tharned.org
Sat Sep 19 03:40:31 UTC 2009

Last May, Hans Petter Selasky fixed up the umct driver for 8.0-CURRENT
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-May/007125.html).
After updating to 8.0-RC1 I find that the driver has a new problem.

Testing with cu(1) and a modem, I can see by watching the lights on the
modem and on the usb-serial adapter that it still asserts DTR and sends
and receives characters properly, but no characters reach the terminal.
That seems to be the only problem: characters from the attached serial
device seem to disappear before reaching whatever program has the serial
device open.  But strangely enough, power cycling the modem results in a
few "line noise" characters appearing.  Perhaps the driver is no longer
responding appropriately to DSR?

Any insight or troubleshooting clues would be much appreciated.

--
Greg Rivers