misc/compat6x port no longer sufficient for DRI under head?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Thu Sep 17 23:53:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 06:37:46PM -0500, Sean C. Farley wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, David Wolfskill wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 08:32:09AM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> >>Have you tried re-enabling hald and dbus and configuring X to use
> >>those?
> >
> >No, I haven't.
> >
> >One of the reasons I stopped trying to use hald(8) was that when I
> >booted head, hald went into a 100% CPU busy loop.  (Mind, this was
> >with hald built inder stable/6.)
>
> How about building your system without HAL?  I have been quite happy
> without it.  As long as I have the following in my Xorg.conf, everything
> (that I need) seems to be detected nicely:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
> EndSection

Well, ref. the above "I stopped trying to use hald(8)" -- I did this by:

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

And then disabling the hald & dbus startup.

It had been working in stable/6, stable/7, and head before the
(apparently DRI-related) issues arose in stable/7 and (mnore recently)
head.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.