misc/compat6x port no longer sufficient for DRI under head?

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 18:28:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 01:20:13PM -0500, Robert Noland wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 20:10 +0200, Mel Flynn wrote:

> > > So, the DRI option has absolutely nothing to do with kbd/mouse.  I
> > > expect that what you are actually seeing is a hard lockup, quite
> > > possibly a gpu crash.
> >
> > If that's the case, having a root vty open before starting X and upon gpu
> > crash, blind type (no cookies for typos!) shutdown -r NOW<enter> should result
> > in some /var/log/messages entries at the very least and quite possible reboot,
> > right?
>
> Maybe... It really depends on exactly what state X has left things in
> when it crashed/hung.  If X crashes and catches the signals, it should
> try to restore the console to a usable state.  If it is a gpu crash then
> X may still be functioning, but hung on a lock.  In this case, you can
> generally ssh in or get serial console.  It is also possible for
> something entirely more evil to occur, such that things get hung with
> interrupts disabled which results in a case where nothing but the power
> button will remedy it.  In any case, if X isn't able to cleanly exit and
> call LeaveVT, then your console is likely hosed.

I spent some time with David looking at the debugging information.
In particular, David has access to the serial console on the machine.

I was unable to decide with some certainity what happens, in particular,
whether the machine was locked, only X was locked, or just keyboard and
mouse input not working.

But, the reliable state of the system where it spent quite a time
during X startup was mtrr setup. Xorg was sitting in kernel, in
i686_mrstore().

It seems that after some time, X starts sleeping in select(2).