NFS NLM issues w/ 8.0-BETA4

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Thu Sep 17 04:03:25 UTC 2009

I noticed this on 7.2-R and realized that I should try this on 8.0-BETA4
since it's about out.  I think there is an issue w/ netbooting and NFS
locking.

I setup a netboot server to export root via NFS.  I took the 8.0-BETA4
live cd, and extracted it to the root directory of the machine.  Just
to keep things simple, I didn't do any configuration of the image and
booted to single user mode.  I ran rpcbind, rpc.statd and rpc.lockd.
When I ran rpc.lockd, I get the following:
NLM: failed to contact remote rpcbind, stat = 3, port = 28416
NLM: failed to contact remote rpcbind, stat = 3, port = 28416
Can't start NLM - unable to contact NSM

28416 is 111 endian swapped, but that could be an artifact of not
swapping before printing it.

I tried booting off the live cd (which drops me into sysinstall
instead of a shell), and I get the same errors (though they appear
on ttyv1 instead of ttyv0).

I was thinking that stat = 3 was RPC_PROCUNAVAIL, but it could be
RPC_CANTSEND.

/usr/src/sys/nfs/rpcv2.h:#define        RPC_PROCUNAVAIL 3
/usr/src/sys/rpc/clnt_stat.h:   RPC_PROCUNAVAIL = 10,           /* procedure unavailable */

If I run rpcinfo -p <server> from the client, I can see that nlockmgr
is available.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579