8.0-Beta installation problem -- Unable to find /dev/ad0s1b

Thierry Thomas thierry at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 15 21:16:25 UTC 2009

Le Mar 15 sep 09 à 19:31:11 +0200, Johan Hendriks <Johan at double-l.nl>
 écrivait :

> I have a problem like this also.
> I have a server which runs FreeBSD 7.2 and i did update it to RELENG_8 but i can not see the data disk anymore.
> If i put in an system disk with FreeBSD 6 or 7 or pcbsd then i can read the disk fine.
> Or if i put the data disk into a server with 6, 7 or pcbsd i also can see the disk.
> What can i do to make the drive useable in 8.

Is your disk in "dangerously dedicated" mode?

If yes, this is what I did (advised by marcel@)

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad1 oseek=1 bs=512 count=1

where /dev/ad1 is my device. You should see some messages from
GEOM_LABEL removing and assigning new labels.

After that, I rebooted in 8.0 in single user mode, and was able to
continue the upgrade as usual.

Good luck!
--
Th. Thomas.