NFS issues on 8.0-BETA4

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Fri Sep 11 20:43:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009, Rick Macklem wrote:

>>> I cannot sucessfully mount exports from the NFSv3 server on the
>>> 8.0-BETA4 client.  All works well with 7.2 clients.
>>>
>>> The strange thing is, the directory in which I mount the nfs
>>> filesystem disappears, and I get an error when I attempt to access the
>>> directory.

I just took another glance at your email and see you have your server
configured for UDP only, so that explains it.

As noted in the last posting, the current mount_nfs.c switches to
TCP for NFS by default, so...
- add "udp" to your mount options
OR
- add "-t" to your nfs_server_flags

and I think things will work better.

I vaguely recall posting w.r.t. this uses UDP for the mount protocol
and then TCP for NFS by default and didn't really get any responses.
(I'm new to this and probably posted to freebsd-fs or freebsd-arch.)
At that time, I didn't realize the change was post FreeBSD7, so I
didn't do anything more about it.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes, rick