Funding ODD support

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 9 13:24:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 15:01 -0500, Robert Noland wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 19:55 +0300, Alexander Motin wrote:
> > Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > > I'm looking for somebody who has time and knowledge to fix ODD support
> > > in FreeBSD.
> > > I'm willing to sponsor a decent ammount.
> > > My problem is that I can't use FreeBSD for any task in which CD or DVD
> > > is involved.
> > > What I want is read/write support for any ATAPI/S-ATA ODD regarding
> > > ISO9660 and audio. Of course I'd love to have UDF support also, but for
> > > the beginning I'd be glad if FreeBSD could boot with an inserted audio
> > > CD. This has been a problem for more than two years now, and disabling
> > > DMA support for ata devices isn't a satisfying solution.
> > >
> > > So if you think ypu can fix this and make growisofs and cdrtools working
> > > with ATAPI and SATA devices, please contact me.
> > > If we have working ODD support in 8.0-release I'll donate 100 extra bucks.
> >
> > Funding is good, but could you first once more repeat what is your
> > problem? Which controller do you use? Which drive? Which disks and which
> > applications? Have you tried to use different controllers, drives,
> > disks, applications? I am asking because there quite a lot of people
> > successfully using ODD on FreeBSD.
>
> FWIW, some of the recent changes do seem to have broken things a bit for
> me... But I can't quite put my finger on where the breakage is.  Some
> apps seem to work, depending on media, while other don't (that used to).
> For example I can burn a data DVD using tkdvd, but not brasero.  brasero
> does seem to be able to burn data cds, though I'm getting horrible
> throughput which I don't understand.  (I seem to max at about 4x writing
> cds on a 48x cd burner, IIRC).  I haven't found any tool that is able to
> write a DL dvd, currently.

Ok, update... After some prodding, I installed k3b which did
successfully burn a DL DVD.  It uses growisofs on the backend, which I
did try a week or so ago and it wasn't working.  Tkdvd also uses
growisofs, so I presume that it would work now as well.  brasero still
wasn't working yesterday, at least for DL, but I have been trying to
periodically rebuild it with and without libburn, so it might be a bit
confused now.  At any rate I assume that the cam/ata fixes in my latest
kernel got growisofs working correctly again.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD