Can't boot 8.0-BETA4 from USB stick

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Tue Sep 8 11:50:11 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 13:02:48 James Butler wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I have an amd64 system (Asus A8V-MX) which boots 7.2
from a USB flash
> drive. Trying an 8-STABLE kernel from Saturday
(identifies as
> 8.0-BETA4), the system can't boot - here is the last
bit of the kernel
> messages (typed, with comments):
>
> [witness performance blah blah blah]
> root mount waiting for: usbus2 usbus1 usbus0
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> uhub1: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> root mount waiting for: usbus2
> uhub2: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> root mount waiting for: usbus2
> ugen2.2: <TOSHIBA> at usbus2
> umass0: <Toshiba TransMemory, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00,
addr 2> on usbus2
> umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
> root mount waiting for: usbus2
> umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
> ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
> If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and da0 at
umass-sim0 bus 0
> target 0 lun 0  <---- This is suspicious
> da0: <TOSHIBA TransMemory PMAP> Removable Direct Access
SCSI-0 device
> da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 3875MB (7936000 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 493C)
> first try the following from  <---- The rest of the
message that was
> cut off above
> the loader prompt:
>
> etc. etc. until the mountroot> prompt, and after that
even specifying
> the device doesn't work (and ? doesn't list it). It
seems to my
> non-hacker eyes that the device is not attaching until
after it should
> be.
>
> Any help would be appreciated, and I can provide
further information as
> needed.

Hi,

It looks like your device is detected too late. Have you
tried another USB port? Or plugging in another dummy USB
device?

--HPS