8.0BETA3 on eee1005ha-h, hardware & acpi issues.

michel Junger michel.junger at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 08:34:13 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to install freebsd on an asus eee1005ha-h.
I made the installation using 8.0BETA3 with an usb stick.

Some things don't work as expected or don't work at all.
And more disturbing, some things work but I don't understand why !?

Here is a list of what is already done with questions
for points that are unclear to me.

== things ok without doing anything ==

- The ethernet network adapter use the alc driver, no problem.
- Function keys : backlight control buttons ( fn + f5, f6 ) .
- The sleep button ( fn+f1 ) works too, but you need to
  make some configuration to have a working sleep mode.

== Trouble with ACPI & S3 mode ==

  It was more difficult to get S3 mode working correctly,
  apparently freebsd and acpi on this machine don't work well together.

- In /boot/loader.conf, the line with hint.apic.0.disabled is the
  most important.

- I put hw.pci.do_power_nodriver and kern.hz because I read about those
  variables in the eee wiki page but I don't know why are they usefull.

  It seems that several values are possible for do_power_nodriver,
  maybe 2 or 3 unfortunately I don't know which one is the best ?

  The same for kern.hz, why 100 ? Maybe there's a better value than 100 ?
  it would be nice if someone can give me some clue.

hint.apic.0.disabled="1"
hw.pci.do_power_nodriver=1
kern.hz=100

- The handbook explains how to disassemble the acpi instructions.
  In the generated code several window versions are listed,
  linux is also present but no *bsd ... What a surprise!
  As said in the handbook I put an osname compatible with the acpi code.

hw.acpi.osname="Windows 2001"

- I also had this line. It's necessary to still have the mouse
  when resuming from S3 mode.

hint.psm.0.flags="0x3000"

When S3 sleep is ok ( tested with sync & acpiconf -s S3, be prepare
to violent reboot ), I put the following two lines in /etc/sysctl.conf.
This done,  typing fn+f1 or closing the lid is equivalent
to "Enter S3 mode now".

hw.acpi.sleep_button_state=S3
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3

== Things that don't work correctly ==

- I put hw.acpi.reset_video=1 in /etc/sysctl.conf but during
  few seconds after waking up from S3 sleep the display
  is full of "garbage".

- Sound works with snd_hda.ko module. But if you go in S3 mode,
  even if you have unload snd_hda before, when the system
  wake up and you reload the snd_hda module, the sound card
  is well recognized but it doesn't work (no sound) at all.
  Is there a "trick" to completely re-init sound card ?

- xorg works ( Driver "intel"), but when you're under X11
  if  you decide to return to a text console, the screen is
  suddenly filled with horizontal green and black stripes.
  After that you're just able to properly reboot with ctrl+alt+suppr.
  It looks like the operating system is running with a video console broken.
  On the other hand switching to S3 mode while in X11 works fine.

Things I didn't try to setup : bluetooth / webcam / wifi .

Now I need to setup powerd, build a custom kernel, any url, advice is welcome.
For example I don't which CPUTYPE to use for Atom N280 processor ?

I was helped by the freebsd eee wiki page and the handbook.
The acpi chapter in the handbook is a must-read.

As explained by the handbook I've put result of "boot -v",
"acpidump -dt" and "sysctl hw.acpi." in files donwloaded at :
http://mjunger.atspace.com/fbsd/
If some "acpi guru" can see obvious mistakes, it'll be great.

Michel.