ZFS on entire disks setup

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Thu Oct 29 18:17:23 UTC 2009

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Stefan Bethke wrote:

SB> > is there a way to configure ZFS-only setup without partitions?
SB> >
SB> > I tried to reproduce the trick with `skip=1 seek=1024', and have
SB> > loot/loader
SB> > running, but it does not see the pool.
SB>
SB> This sequence is working for me:
SB> dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/da0 count=1
SB> dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/da0 skip=1 seek=1024
SB> zpool create zroot /dev/da0
SB> zpool set bootfs=zroot zroot
SB> cd /usr/src && make installworld installkernel distribution DESTDIR=/zroot
SB> cp /boot/loader.conf /zroot/boot/loader.conf
SB> cp /etc/rc.conf /zroot/etc/
SB> touch /zroot/etc/fstab
SB> echo 'zfs_load="YES"' >>/zroot/boot/loader.conf
SB> echo 'vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zroot"' >>/zroot/boot/loader.conf
SB> zpool export zroot
SB> zpool import zroot
SB> cp /boot/zfs/zpool.cache /zroot/boot/zfs/
SB> zfs set mountpoint=legacy zroot
SB>
SB> ... except that it doesn't anymore.  I saw this working about two months
SB> ago, but now it fails to mount root.  Verbose boot doesn't give any
SB> indication why ZFS can't find the pool.

Well, after all, I've managed to boot 8.0-RC2/amd64 from 1+0 zpool without
either UFS or GPT/MBR.  Will test further.

As for the source of previous failure -- It seems bootfs property in my
previous experiment did not set properly...

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]