Strange md/unionfs issue

David Ehrmann ehrmann at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 23:38:27 UTC 2009

Gavin Atkinson wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, David Ehrmann wrote:
>
>> I have a system running on a flash disk.  To prevent it from wearing
>> out quickly, I don't run with a swap and mount /tmp and /var from
>> memory. Because /var needs some directories and contains files I
>> probably should save from time to time, I mount it from flash, mount
>> /var to /var_real so I can access the underlying files, and then I
>> mount an md device on top of /var as a unionfs.  Initially, it seems
>> to work, but seconds later, the unionfs seems to fail.
>
> When the mount "fails", is it still shown in the output of mount(1)?
The output of mount is the same; it reports that a md-backed unionfs is
on top of /var.

> It appears that this problem is the same as is reported in PR
> kern/131441, which has so far not had any activity.  It appears that
> this bug has existed since at least 7.1-RELEASE.
It does seem to be the same bug (or similar).   With mine, I mounted a
unionfs on top of a mount point that a nullfs was based on, not the
nullfs's mount point.  I think the bug in kern/131441 was with a unionfs
over a nullfs.  This probably means md's off the hook as the culprit,
and the same thing would happen with ufs on /dev/foo.