request: LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT

krad kraduk at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 18 21:06:48 UTC 2009

2009/11/18 Dan Naumov <dan.naumov at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Holger Kipp <hk at alogis.com> wrote:

> we

> often
> simply
> about
> behind
> seems
> computer-scientist
> of the
> >>
> >> This is unreasonable elitism. Having to jump through hoops, manually
> >
> > Ah no. If someone needs a precompiled system with everything, he can go
> > and use Windows or Linux. I prefer using *BSD _because_ I can compile
> > everything from scratch. And the build-system usually works much better
> > than many 'pre-compiled' binary systems on the market.
>
> "Can" and "have to" are 2 very different things.
>
> >> adjust Makefiles and spend time compiling just to apply a system
> >> update does NOT make you a "guru". It makes you waste time that could
> >> be better spent elsewhere.
> >
> > Usually adjusting Makefiles is not necessary, because the defaults are
> fine
> > for most users. If you _need_ to adjust Makefiles, then a precompiled
> solution
> > is definitely not suited to your needs. Trust me on that ;-)
>
> Or maybe the defaults are suboptimal?
>

> - Sincerely,
> Dan Naumov

if you want upgrades to be more reliable you should really do it from
source. Binary updates are fine however they have nowhere near as much run
time on them than source updates. This is why I have always used source and
always will.

The speed argument isn't that valid either, as that is just down to not
being organised. I have a build server at work as do i at home, and this
builds a new world every night, so I always have one waiting for me to
install. If I need to make a small adjustment to compile options I user the
DNCLEAN options to speed things up. I also have the option of a full
reinstall the next day as well if i need to.

I do agree about sysinstall though in that its well outdated. It would be
much better to have a livecd installer like opensolaris or ubuntu for
novices. A fully functional (geom, zfs etc) install script language as well
would be good as well for automated installations, but I can live without
that.

The biggest issue I have with the bsd loader is that you cant (as far as i
can tell) hang it off the back of a pxe grub menu, making it difficult to
build a heterogeneous jumpstart environment