request: LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT

Pierre Massat depaulou at efrei.fr
Wed Nov 18 17:53:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Of the hoops that I had to jump through to install FreeBSD 8 on a ZFS raidz,
> the least inconsequential was rebuilding loader with ZFS support. Truly,
> truly simple. There is also no need to build a different installation image,
> everything can be done from the fixit console on the installation media. You
> also don't rebuild the system, you rebuild one tiny part of it, just the
> loader.

This is truly simple, I agree with you. But I have a ZFS-boot mirror
and I upgraded to 8.0-RC3 recently and my server didn't reboot because
I forgot the loader stuff. Of course, this wasn't a production server
and I took some precautions, but it would be more convienient not to
worry about such pointless detail. That's why changing the bootloader
to be able to have ZFS built-in is, to my mind, a good thing.

We can simplify the way ZFS is managed in Freebsd by such simple things.

--
Pierre Massat