"corrupt or invalid GPT" when attempting to import Solaris ZFS pool (8.0-RC3)

Jeremy Thornhill jeremy.thornhill at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 04:31:14 UTC 2009

Dear list,

I've been trying out 8.0-RC3 on a spare machine. I've been hoping that
8.0 would be a good time to move my ZFS pools from an old Solaris x86
box to FreeBSD.

I've been testing the procedure with a USB drive which was allocated
as a single pool under Solaris. It's the correct filesystem version
(13). I export the pool from the Solaris box, and then attempt to
import it on the FreeBSD box. Unfortunately, I get the following
error, and the pool is not able to be imported:

GEOM: da0: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: da0: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.

I've seen some recent posts on the lists where a helpful developer
assisted a user suffering from a similar circumstance, but I wasn't
able to determine if there is a general way for users to resolve such
issues. If I understand correctly this is an incompatibility in how
Solaris partitions disks when they are allocated entirely to a pool.

So, before I attempt this full scale on my raidz array, can anybody
point me in the right direction to get beyond this error and make my
Solaris ZFS pools work in FreeBSD?

Thanks,
Jeremy