GPT boot with ZFS RAIDZ "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable"

Emil Smolenski ambsd at raisa.eu.org
Mon Nov 16 18:33:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:59:44 +0100, Robert Noland <rnoland at freebsd.org>
wrote:

>> [...]
>>   Then I read this thread and applied Robert Noland's and Matt Reimer's
>> patches -- and they didn't help. Then I grabbed following files from
>> -CURRENT (svn rev. 198420):
> Matt's patch only effects raidz volumes.

  Oh, I see. Maybe there is similar bug in ZFS on single disk volumes also?

>> [cut: update procedure]
>>   (is this procedure of updating zfsboot correct?)
> This should be correct for updating the first stage bootstrap code.  The
> loader (boot/loader) is actually updated during installworld.

  I'll try full build/installworld tomorrow.

>> [...]
>>   I would rather not to upgrade the whole system to -CURRENT. What
>> should I
>> do in this situation? Is there any other patch that I could apply or any
>> workaround for this issue? Is there possibility to switch from zfsboot
>> gptzfsboot without loosing data? Or maybe I did something wrong?
> I don't think that you can switch to gptzfsboot as that would require
> repartitioning the device.

  I thought so.

> A little more context though, was this working before?  Or is this a new
> install?

  This system has worked stable since Jun, but I've never done full
installworld after the initial installation. Now, after the installworld,
machine no longer boots. (Rollback did not help).

--
am