No DHCP lease with iwi(4)/wlan(4); works with an(4) at r197399

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Nov 13 12:55:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:20:56PM +0000, Rui Paulo wrote:
> > 20091109:
> >        The layout of the structure ieee80211req_scan_result has changed.
> >        Applications that require wireless scan results (e.g. ifconfig(8))
> >        from net80211 need to be recompiled.
> >
> > and admit that I did the upgrade with -DNOCLEAN.  But it worked OK
> > for the upgrade yesterday -- and I don't expect that I actually use
> > scan results in any case.  (Recall that association still works.)
>
> Well, wpa_supplicant should've been rebuilt even with NOCLEAN (I used NOCLEAN, IIRC). Anyway, you wouldn't be able to associate if wpa_supplicant wasn't updated.
>
> BTW, wpa_supplicant uses scan results too.
>
> P.S.: if wpa_supplicant is old, it will display empty SSIDs if you run it with the debugging mode enabled.

I only try to use wpa_supplicant if/when I need to deal with an AP
configured to use WPA.

At home, it's simple WEP; I can't get wpa_supplicant to even associate.

Association was not my problem: getting a DHCP lease was.

The only veariable (other than changes in the software over time) was
the use of different APs.

And for whatever it's worth, when Julian was doing a vimage demo using
my laptop last night (BAFUG -- www.bafug.org), the iwi0 NIC of the
laptop both associated with and got a DHCP lease from my 3rd AP (the
little portable one -- ZIO is its brand name).  That was running head at
r199220M.  (Though in that case, since I set the AP up for the whole
meeting to use, I did not use WEP -- I left the AP wide open.)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.