What is the state of ZFS on FreeBSD?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 17:21:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Sam Fourman Jr. <sfourman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 12:47 AM, Artis Caune <artis.caune at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/11/5 joe mcguckin <joe at via.net>:
>>> I'm interested inb putting together a file server with lots of disk.
>>>
>>> What's the state of ZFS? Is it ready for production use?
>
> We are using it in production and have a 6TB RAIDZ on FreeBSD8 RC2 amd64
> we are quite happy with the FreeBSD 8 setup.
> we tried it on FreeBSD 7.2 i386 and did not like it (we got a few panics)
>
> the only trouble we really had on FreeBSD8 is the sharenfs manpages
> are not updated. so we are using the classic /etc/exports instead of the zfs option.

The syntax is the same.  Anything you can put into /etc/exports you
can put into the sharenfs property.  In fact, behind the scenes, the
sharenfs property is just copied into a private exports file, and the
nfs daemon uses that in addition to /etc/exports.

The man pages for ZFS are just dumps of the Solaris ones, so a lot of
the info is not quite right for a FreeBSD system.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com