8.0RC2 amd64 - kernel panic running make buildworld

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Nov 4 15:24:02 UTC 2009

Kai Gallasch <gallasch at free.de> writes:
> I installed 8.0RC2-amd64 on an 8-core opteron server a few days ago.
>
> When I try to do a make buildworld or make buildkernel the server
> reboots without any message left in the logs. The same happens
> when building bigger ports (for example ruby18 or perl58)

Could it be related to this?  What's your CPUID?

Author: attilio
Date: Wed Nov  4 01:32:59 2009
New Revision: 198868

Log:
  Opteron rev E family of processor expose a bug where, in very rare
  ocassions, memory barriers semantic is not honoured by the hardware
  itself. As a result, some random breakage can happen in uninvestigable
  ways (for further explanation see at the content of the commit itself).

  As long as just a specific familly is bugged of an entire architecture
  is broken, a complete fix-up is impratical without harming to some
  extents the other correct cases.
  Considering that (and considering the frequency of the bug exposure)
  just print out a warning message if the affected machine is identified.

  Pointed out by:	Samy Al Bahra <sbahra at repnop dot org>
  Help on wordings by:	jeff
  MFC:	3 days

Modified:
  head/sys/amd64/amd64/identcpu.c