[kde-freebsd] after compiling x11/kde4 problems with /usr/local/bin/startkde (SOLVED)

Robert N. M. Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 1 13:17:45 UTC 2009

On 1 Nov 2009, at 13:08, Matthias Apitz wrote:

>>> $ uname -a FreeBSD vm-azul.Sisis.de 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-
>>> CURRENT #0
>>> r197801: Mon Oct 12 13:33:32 CEST 2009
>>> guru at vm-azul.Sisis.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
>>
>> Sounds like an upgrade should fix this -- if not, please let us
>> know ASAP
>> as it might be an issue for 8.0 as well.
>
> Robert, do you have an idea why this (with the same kernel/userland)
> only shows up after installing the port x11/kde4?

KDE uses some pre-linking techniques to reduce startup time for
applications; I'm not sure what the current version of the code does
exactly, but it wouldn't surprise me if it involves PIE executables,
which were known to have problems with our null-mapping prevention
until recent bug fixes to rtld. If the problem goes away with an
upgrade to a new userspace/kernel, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
We added the null-mapping prevention a few weeks ago, and later
discovered it interacted badly with bugs in our handling of PIE in-
kernel and in rtld. Most likely (if the problem goes away with an
upgrade), you just ended up with a bad combination of the two that was
resolved.

Robert