Host OS (OS X 10.6.1) panic when booting 8.0-RC2 in VirtualBox 3.0.10

Matthias Rampke matthias.rampke at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 1 11:44:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I'd suggest
> making a backup copy of the bad VM so that you can trigger it on demand
> later.

done.

>> This does not happen in a new, freshly installed VM. Now it hangs at usbus
>> initialization, but I suppose that's a different story (the pains of using
>> USB with VirtualBox, they never end).
>
> This, on the other hand, could be our bug; there's a new USB stack in 8.0.
>  I suggest creating a new thread for that issue with a usb-related subject
> line to make sure the right folk see it.
>
> Robert

No need, the problem resolved itself by de- and reactivating USB in
VBox (thanks HPS). This is definitely not a FreeBSD-related problem, I
have been having problems accessing a specific USB drive from within
VMs, both FreeBSD and OpenSolaris, and that one appears to have been
the problem here as well.

So, the current status is: The cleanly installed 8.0-RC2 works, the
updated one not. So this is either my bad or the freebsd-update did
something wrong. I'll try to find out what and keep you posted.

thx for all the suggestions, M.

--
   Matthias Rampke

    +49 179 - 166 09 18