Feedback and Questions Updating to CURRENT

Jon Loeliger jdl at jdl.com
Mon May 11 00:37:05 UTC 2009

> In theory, your old software should run
> fine, even with a new world and kernel, although
> a few things may need slight reconfiguration
> due to changed device/driver names, etc.

Well, that's sort of what I was thinking too.
But clearly some X or keyboard thing wasn't happy.

> But it does probably make sense to update everything.

Right.  And a "pkgdb -f" suggested there were some
updates that could be made anyway....

> /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade is your friend
> here:
>   $ portupgrade -af --batch

Aha!  --batch  That seems like the ticket!
Mentioning that on the "portupgrade -a" command would
have been stellar!

I should interrupt this "portupgrade" to add
the --batch flag....

> shouldn't take more than a day or two, depending
> on what you have installed.

Only X.org, Gnome, Gnome-friends, Firefox and friends,
the entire XML series, PDF, and emacsen, GCC, etc.
On a 1.0GHz box with a gig of memory, what?, maybe
two days.

> Caveat:  If you update anything, you'll probably
> have to update everything.  Otherwise, you'll
> end up with some things linked against old libc
> and others linked against new libc, which breaks
> badly.

Yeah, familiar with that one!

Thanks!

jdl