Installation of FreeBSD 8.0-Current-2009-amd64-dvd

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Sat May 9 03:39:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Tim Kientzle <kientzle at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>

>> A few days ago I have downloaded and installed
>> 8.-Current-2009-05-amd64-dvd
>> on ...
>>
>> (1) I tried to use X but X was completely missing .
>> (2) Trying to add X with pkg_add did not worked...
>> (3) I did not understand what can I do with that release...
>>

> FreeBSD-CURRENT is for people who are helping to develop
> FreeBSD itself.  In order to use -CURRENT, you
> need to be able to build software without using
> packages.  Because -CURRENT is in development,
> pre-built packages are not available (they would break
> very quickly as the system changes).  Remember
> that X is just another set of packages.
>
> You can build and install X from ports:
>  $ cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server
>  $ make
>  $ make install
>
> Is there a particular reason you wanted to run
> FreeBSD-CURRENT?   It sounds like you might be
> happier using the latest -STABLE release, which
> is FreeBSD 7.2.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim Kientzle

Dear Tim ,

I know that current snapshots should not be used in any production purposes
.

My intention was only to install it , run some programs , and if I get a
feeling that supplying an information to current developers may be useful to
send an e-mail about my experiences .

I  think such installation and test results would be useful to current
developers if I am not wrongly assumed that .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet eErol Sanliturk