make installworld DESTDIR=/mnt fails

Mon Mar 30 04:12:05 PDT 2009

Quoting Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> (from Mon, 30 Mar 2009
09:45:02 +0200):

> Hello,
>
> I have created a boot-able USB key with -CURRENT from CVS following
> this recipe:
>
> # mkdir -p /usr/src/myHEAD/obj
> # cd /usr/src/myHEAD
> # cvs checkout src
> # setenv MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX /usr/src/myHEAD/obj
> # cd /usr/src/myHEAD/src
> # make buildworld

> I've enriched this USB key with the actual source tree and the compiled
> objects:
>
> # cd /usr/src/
> # tar -cf - myHEAD | ( cd /mnt ; tar -xpf - )
>
> now I wanted to install based on this booted CURRENT another
> PC, its empty disk is mounted below /mnt; the installation fails
> as shown below;
>
> what is the reason for this?

> # setenv MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX /myHEAD/obj
> # cd /myHEAD/src

You need to
     mv /myHEAD /usr/src/myHEAD
     setenv MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX /usr/src/myHEAD/obj
and it should work.

The realpath of the src dir is used  when creating the obj tree. If
you look at myHEAD/obj/, you will see that there's an usr/src/myHEAD.
Alternatively it should work to mv /myHEAD/obj/usr/src/myHEAD to
/myHEAD/obj/, but I types this part out of my head without looking at
a real obj tree, so there could be something missing.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half
of the people are right more than half of the time.