HEADS UP: multicast forwarding ipv4/ipv6 split and fine grained locking patch

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Mar 11 16:49:37 PDT 2009

Hi all,

If you look at this URL:
    http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/stage/mrouting/

...I have two patches which considerably clean up IPv4 multicast forwarding.

Summary of changes:

The ip_mroute.ko module is also split into two, and the dependencies
between IPv4 and IPv6 are untangled.
BSD constructs are now used for the data structures in MROUTING, and
some but not all style(9) bugs fixed.
Fine grained locking is added.
The MFC and VIF tables are exported from the live kernel via sysctl,
which allows netstat with MROUTING to be built without libkvm support.

I'd like to hear from folk who are able to give these patches more
in-depth testing before I go ahead and commit them.

thanks!
BMS