recent boot0 changes dropped a partition type?

Aragon Gouveia aragon at phat.za.net
Sun Jun 28 19:18:10 UTC 2009

Hi,

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> yes it was removed to save space, i am more than happy to replace 0xb
> with 0xc if the latter turns out to be more popular.
>
> So far we have the following (all the rest is basically commented
> out because we need space for other stuff):
>
> 	131	linux
> 	165	FreeBSD
> 	166	[Open]BSD
> 	169	[Net]BSD
> 	6	Win [FAT16 >= 32MB]
> 	7	Win [NTFS]
> 	11	Win [FAT32]
>
> Suggestions for replacements are welcome

 From my bit of research now, it looks like types 6 and 11 should be
changed.  Their modern equivalents are 0xE and 0xC respectively.  I
think the only Redmond systems that still use 0x6 and 0xB pre-date
Windows XP.  I'm basing my opinions on personal experience and:

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

The only caveat I see is:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/151414

But with limited space we probably should just decide to not worry about
anything older than Windows XP...

Thanks,
Aragon