8.0-current cannot find disk!!

Bartosz Stec admin at kkip.pl
Wed Jun 24 07:19:57 UTC 2009

ken wrote:
>   Hi!
>   I tried 8.0-current June snapshot CD with GigaByte GA-MA790FX-DQ6, and found that it cannot find any disk and failed to install while 7.2-release can find disk and has no problem to install.
>
>   What is the cause of this? and any fixes?
>
> Following is the dmesg with 7.2-release;

Well, dmesg from current would be definitely more helpful, but I assume
that it's hard to get it without hard disk ;)
Are you sure that only disks weren't recognized, or maybe AHCI
controller? Search for these lines in dmesg:
> atapci1: [ITHREAD]
> atapci1: AHCI Version 01.00 controller with 2 ports detected
> ata4: <ATA channel 0> on atapci1
> ata4: [ITHREAD]
> ata5: <ATA channel 1> on atapci1
> ata5: [ITHREAD]
> atapci2: <ATI AHCI controller> port 0xff00-0xff07,0xfe00-0xfe03,0xfd00-0xfd07,0xfc00-0xfc03,0xfb00-0xfb0f mem 0xfe02f000-0xfe02f3ff irq 22 at device 18.0 on pci0
> atapci2: [ITHREAD]
> atapci2: AHCI Version 01.10 controller with 4 ports detected
> ata6: <ATA channel 0> on atapci2
> ata6: [ITHREAD]
> ata7: <ATA channel 1> on atapci2
> ata7: [ITHREAD]
> ata8: <ATA channel 2> on atapci2
> ata8: [ITHREAD]
> ata9: <ATA channel 3> on atapci2
> ata9: [ITHREAD]
Additionaly, check for some error messages and uknown devices in the
log. Another thing to try is changing operating mode of the controller
(in BIOS) - you should find at least 2 modes - AHCI and NATIVE IDE,
possibly RAID na LEGACY IDE. Good luck!

--
Bartosz Stec