signifanctly slowdown of FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT/amd64

Attilio Rao attilio at freebsd.org
Sun Jun 7 10:39:51 UTC 2009

2009/6/7 Pierre Guinoiseau <geekounet at poildetroll.net>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a similar problem, for about 3 weeks/1 month now, on a SMP box.
> If i run something using much cpu for a "long" time and/or causing heavy
> I/O, like compiling or watching a video, my box slows down a lot, X11
> (and any apps, X11 or not) become much less responsive, the CPU stays at
> 100% load (mainly because of X11), even when the original task is ended.
> If I stop X11, the system stay still very slow. The only way to get my
> machine back in a usable state is to reboot it... :(

Would you both be able to get a schedgraph trace of your offending workloads?
In order to do that you would need to:
- Recompile your kernel by just adding the following lines:
options KTR
options KTR_COMPILE=(KTR_SCHED)
options KTR_ENTRIES=262144
options KTR_MASK=(KTR_SCHED)
- Install the py-tkinter package from ports
- While the new kernel is running the workload you are profiling do
'sysctl debug.ktr.mask=0' (it will disable, until restored the ability
to trace, so in order to get more traces re-enable it)
- Then do ktrdump -ct > ktr.out and send the output to lists, possibly
specifying the frequency of your cores

Thanks,
Attilio