Annoying whitenoise sound coming from snd_hda enabled chipset

m.c raszobbi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 13:36:58 UTC 2009

Yoshihiro Ota wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:45:27 +0300
> Alexander Motin <mav at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>

>> Yoshihiro Ota wrote:
>>
>>> This problem was gone once back in Febrary.
>>>
>>> I was away from 8-current and came back to 8-BETA1/2.
>>> Then, now I hear this noise again.
>>>
>>> Alexander, do you have any ideas for this time, too?
>>>
>> Can you remind me what are you talking about? You are talking about some
>> noise, but following messages about detection problems.
>>

> I currently have a problem.
> The problem is some mysterious sound like szzzz..... in very low tone and low volume.
> However, it is noticeable and somewhat destructing.
> I usually use 7.1-RELEASE, but as 8.0 being in BETA, I installed 8-BETA1 and BETA2.
> Both of these versions has this noise.
>
> The noise is very much like the same noise I experienced back in February.
> At that time, you, Alexander, fixed the problem.
> I had had used 8-CURRENT until end of April but I was away until this time.
> Because the symptom was smiler, I decided to reply to the old e-mail chain

Sorry to butt in, but saw this post recently and have some possibly
related problem with sound on amd64 8 beta2 but snd_ich driver.
the driver is ok it seems, but the sound produced is distorted; to the
point i thought my speakers had died. i dual boot fedora 10 and they
sound fine there, even directly hooking up the ipod eliminated the thought.

i don't post here cuz i am a noob and just trying to learn something,
but noticed the distortion first time i installed beta1, (now updated to
beta 2 yesterday), unless i need some settings i didn't need in 7.x.