setting up wlan with vap - wlan0 doesn't appear

Gravisman gravisman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 02:39:34 UTC 2009

Sam Leffler-2 wrote:

> Gravisman wrote:
>> I just got an iogear usb wireless adapter to add to my machine which
>> previously only ran a wired interface. After poking around I now see that
>> wireless setup works significantly different in CURRENT than it did in
>> previous releases. I haven't found too terribly much on google, but the
>> basic idea seems to be that I have to setup a wlans interface in rc.conf.
>> So, the following is what I added to rc.conf, which is consistent with
>> the
>> examples I've found, including the one in /usr/src/UPDATING.
>>
>> wlans_zyd0="wlan0"
>> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
>>
>> I see zyd0 interface in ifconfig, but even with these lines added to
>> rc.conf, I'm not getting any wlan0 interface, and I can't list scanned
>> networks on zyd0. Any idea what I'm missing?
>>
> zyd0 is not where you list networks; if you create wlan0 then you want
>
> ifconfig wlan0 list scan
>
> to see the set of ap's found during a scan.
>
> Try showing the output of ifconfig for starters.  Since you've enabled
> WPA I'd ask if you've created a wpa_supplicant.conf file for it?  w/o
> that you won't get WPA setup.

My problem is that wlan0 doesn't show up as an interface. Despite having
added wlans_zyd0="wlan0" to my rc.conf file, my interfaces are as shown
below:

nassy# ifconfig
msk0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=118<VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,TSO4>
        ether 00:13:d4:07:c7:2e
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flag0,flag1>)
        status: active
fwe0: flags=8902<BROADCAST,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:11:d8:37:35:aa
        ch 1 dma -1
fwip0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        lladdr 0.11.d8.0.0.37.35.aa.a.2.ff.fe.0.0.0.0
plip0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
zyd0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
        ether 00:21:79:c2:44:82
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
        status: no carrier

As you can see, there is no wlan0. So, what might I be missing to actually
get wlan0 setup? Everything I've found just mentions the rc.conf stuff,
which I've done.