Disk devices changed after upgrade to current

Alson van der Meulen alson+ml at alm.flutnet.org
Mon Jul 13 02:54:27 UTC 2009

* illoai at gmail.com <illoai at gmail.com> [2009-07-13 03:19]:
> 2009/7/12 Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.current at mailing.thruhere.net>:
> > I do think this is worth mentioning in UPDATING, perhaps with the advice
> > ("strongly recommended") to label partitions before upgrading so that one is
> > not depending on device naming conventions in the first place.
>
> Using the extant ufsid scheme confessedly functionally equivalent
> also decrease in anxiety, as fsck clears inodes and I can't tell which
> partition, cos /dev/ufsid/beefbeef00f00f looks a lot like anything else
> in hexidecimal: like double the symbols of octal.

Actually, I recently upgraded from -stable to -current, and the fact
that I did use ufsids in -stable caused problems during the upgrade,
since they don't appear to work for me in -current:
# ls -l /dev/ufsid
total 0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  94 Jul 13 04:18 491f4f09c2327891
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  90 Jul 13 04:18 494823268ce19306
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  92 Jul 13 04:18 49482337897d46de
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  91 Jul 13 04:18 4948233c348aaa57
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  93 Jul 13 04:18 494825678ec6ec4c
# /sbin/fsck -p /dev/ufsid/4948233c348aaa57
fsck: cannot open `/dev/ufsid/4948233c348aaa57': Operation not permitted
# /sbin/mount /dev/ufsid/4948233c348aaa57 /tmp
mount: /dev/ufsid/4948233c348aaa57 : Operation not permitted
(/dev/ufsid/4948233c348aaa57 is my /tmp, this was tested in single user mode with only / mounted ro).
Fortunately I had the real device names (/dev/mirror/gm0X) still
commented out in my fstab, but it definitely didn't make the upgrade any
easier. glabels (used for zfs) did continue to work.

Alson