About iwn firmware

kevin stringflow at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 18:15:25 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 1:18 AM, Sam Leffler <sam at freebsd.org> wrote:

> kevin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>   I notice iwn's firmware hasn't been updated for a long time.Is there any
>> plan to import newer version iwn firmware ? current version is
>> iwlwifi-4965-ucode-4.44.17 in the source tree, while latest version is
>> iwlwifi-4965-ucode-228.61.2.24.
>>
>> http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=downloads&f=ucodes_4965
>>

> Not sure why you want newer firmware.  If it's for newer chip support then
> that requires driver changes and is non-trivial.
>
>   Sam
>
> iwn driver works well when system up.but it is not so robust.it will stop
transfer data and throw some errors in these conditions:
1 . mount nfs via wireless network,if i transfer a lot of data.it may stop
receiving data after some time.
2 . wireless network is busy, then some one reboot the wireless AP.it may
throw some errors and stop working.
3 . Find wireless network works slow and switch to Ethernet,.if  try
/etc/rc.d/netif restart, it may throw some errors and stop working.

all these are fixed by reboot system(reload iwn and iwnfw  dose not work at
most time). i also find iwn driver printe a lot of microcode error related
messages when it failed(not easy to reproduce it).

No official Change Log, i just notice the *description *in gentoo
bug#202818.

Thanks,
Kevin