HEADSUP: urtw(4) to be committed soon

Weongyo Jeong weongyo.jeong at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 23:21:50 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 02:38:18PM +0800, Kevin Lo wrote:
> Weongyo Jeong wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hi Weongyo,
>
> > I would like to commit urtw(4) driver for supporting Realtek's 8187L
> > wireless chipset based on USB into HEAD by the end of the week if there
> > are no objections.  And the license of files would be as follows that
> > AFAIK it's based on OpenBSD's template license file:
> >
> > /*-
> >  * Copyright (c) 2008 Weongyo Jeong <weongyo at FreeBSD.org>
> >  *
> >  * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
> >  * purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
> >  * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
> >  *
> >  * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES
> >  * WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
> >  * MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR
> >  * ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
> >  * WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
> >  * ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF
> >  * OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
> >  */
> >
> > Because I'm not a lawyer it'd definitely fail to answer about your
> > detailed questions.  Just one thing I want to is that it's okay if it's
> > enough to use in *BSD, OpenSolaris and etc.  Not want to go into
> > troubles.  :-)
> >
> > I'm looking for a person to port from USB to NEWUSB and if you want to
> > test you can find the sources at:
> >
> > 	http://people.freebsd.org/~weongyo/urtw_20090119.tar.gz
>

> Works for me, thanks. Though it's quite a bit slower, that's a job
> for another day :-)
>
> $ dmesg | grep urtw0
> urtw0: <vendor 0x0bda RTL8187_Wireless, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.00, addr
> 2> on uhub0
> urtw0: WARNING: using obsoleted IFF_NEEDSGIANT flag
>
> $ ifconfig
> plip0: flags=108810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> metric 0
> mtu 1500
> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
>         inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
>         inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
>         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> urtw0: flags=108843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT>
> metric 0 mtu 2290
>         ether 00:40:0c:04:3b:2a
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
>         status: associated
> wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
> 1500
>         ether 00:40:0c:04:3b:2a
>         inet 192.168.1.116 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
>         status: associated
>         ssid MSI channel 11 (2462 Mhz 11g) bssid 00:11:09:0c:2f:91
> [...]

Thank you for testing.  :-)  The performance issue is a known issue that
I think we need to fix a rate control routine for urtw(4).  I tried to use
wlan_amrr(4) but concluded it's hard to apply it without documents
because I couldn't find a flag whether the tx is failed or not.  It looks
it's not enough with just looking USB_STATUS value of usb callbacks.

regards,
Weongyo Jeong