FreeBSD panics with 64GiB of RAM

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Jan 16 05:54:04 PST 2009

Alexander Best wrote:
 > unfortunately there's (probably) nobody here using a computer with
 > that much memory. finding the problem without using similar hardware
 > in order to have a closer look at the problem is very difficult i
 > guess.

I can assure you that there _are_ people using computers
with that much memory.  And I can also assure that there
is no generic problem with FreeBSD/amd64 and 64 GB RAM,
because we have four machines like this, running perfectly
fine.  From dmesg:

usable memory = 68705054720 (65522 MB)
avail memory  = 66614861824 (63528 MB)

These are HP ProLiant DL585 G2 with 8 cores (quad dual-
core Opteron).

Best regards
   Oliver

It's trivial to make fun of Microsoft products,
but it takes a real man to make them work,
and a God to make them do anything useful.