GEOM and moving to CURRENT from 7.1

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Thu Jan 15 09:00:31 PST 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 6:15 AM, Dimitry Andric wrote:

> On 2009-01-14 17:34, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>>> The only way i've found to boot my system again is to compile a new
>>> kernel with GEOM_BSD and GEOM_MBR, instead of GEOM_PART_*.
>>
>> Wipe out your second sector on the disk. You have a
>> stale BSD disklabel that prevents the MBR from being
>> used.
>
> Hmm, in my case I can't do so, since I have a "Dangerously Dedicated"
> FreeBSD MBR partition.

You don't have a DD installation if your root file system
is mounted on ad0s1a. You have a DD installation if your
root file system is mounted on ad0a.

In the DD case, the BSD disklabel in the 2nd sector is the
one that's being used. In the non-DD case the BSD disklabel
is in the 2nd sector of the first slice (sector 64 on the
disk in the most common case).

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com