Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standardcompiler?)

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 15 08:06:17 PST 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Pegasus Mc Cleaft wrote:

*snip*

> I dont know clang, llvm, pcc, etc. very well, but.. Would this solve
> our problem where we will still need an assembler, linker, archiver,
> et al?

For assembler, Yasm looks like a possibility, but I have only glanced at
it.  I think pcc can use it.  There is also Fasm.  Both are
BSD-licensed.  Actually, Yasm is mostly BSD-licensed.  It depends on the
bitvect library which is Artistic/GPL/LGPG-licensed.  Yasm may support
more platforms, and it does accept Gas syntax.

For an archiver, what about tar (bsdtar)?  tar tf /usr/lib/libc.a works
for me.  :)  Actually, there is some development[1] to replace those
utilities with BSD-licensed versions.  ar has already been replaced in
HEAD.

Sean
   1. http://wiki.freebsd.org/ElfToolChain
--