kernel doesn't boot when is built with ukbd/ums

Alexey Shuvaev shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Jan 14 14:37:19 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 01:28:19AM +0300, pluknet wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Today I noticed that when kernel has build-in ums and ukbd support,
> it stops booting with the last seen messages (transcribed):
> uart0: [FILTER]
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq1 on acpi0
> [stops here]
>
> It boots fine if kernel is built without ums and ukbd devices (and
> they loaded as modules). And I see in this case.
> atrtc0: <AT realtime clock> port 0x70-0x71 irq 8 on acpi0
> uart0: <16550 or compatible> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on acpi0
> uart0: [FILTER]
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
> atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
> kbd0 at atkbd0
> atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> atkbd0: [ITHREAD]
> cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
>
> In both cases I have in loader.conf:
>
> ums_load="YES"
> ukbd_load="YES"

Maybe this is the problem? I have some feeling that it is illegal to load
modules already compiled in the kernel with the loader.
On the running system kldload (or what is responsible for it) detects
that the module is already in the kernel, but loader can't detect this.
Try commenting out these lines while booting kernel with ums/ukbd modules.

> I would jump in ddb to see what's going on, but my USB keyboard begin to work
> only if I replug it close to the multiuser. Hence I can't.

Just my 0.02$,
Alexey.